Friday, September 24, 2010

Only one week..

Hard to believe that tomorrow marks the official 'one week left' countdown.  I remember telling my friends that I still had 4 months until I was going to Oxford; it feels like yesterday.  I sent out a box full of shoes and my two heavier coats via post on Monday, so hopefully it will be waiting for me when I land on the 2nd.  I thought I'd better ship the heavier stuff so as not to kill my hips too much (after a 7 hour flight, bus ride and walk to the college), so hopefully that was the right thing to do.  I'm sure everything will work out in the long run, anyhow.

Our international student coordinator from St. Anne's is really on top of her stuff, which is nice.  They've arranged to take all of us international folk on shopping trips around Oxford to make sure we have everything we need before school starts (bank, phone, groceries, etc), so I don't have to fret about getting lost in the city, though I'm sure this will happen at some point in time.  They've also arranged for plenty of 'greeting' dinners and teas, which is quite reminiscent of Bryn Mawr.  By the way, happy 125th birthday Bryn Mawr!  Many more to come.

At Oxford, I have a "family" of individuals (a mother, a father and a brother, I believe) who are actually students studying in my major or at the college.  They are assigned to the freshers to help us get acquainted with the college.  It's basically like BMC customs, except with a smaller group who don't necessarily live together.  I'm excited to meet everyone there... and, of course, to be serenaded by the lovely British accents.

In anticipation of my arrival... more pictures!

Oxford skyline at dawn

The famous Bodleian library (left)






No comments:

Post a Comment